Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Zachary Miros and Brendan M. O'Sullivan recently took the oath of office to join the fire department as cadets.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, April 3
Washington Township Mayor Janet Sobkowicz administering the oath of office to new Fire Department Cadets Zachary Miros and Brendan M. O'Sullivan March 25. The township continues to welcome new fire department cadets as it recently instituted a Cadet Program. This program is an opportunity for young adults to learn first-hand what the fire service is really all about, whether it be for career orientation or volunteerism. Editor's note: This info provided by Dina Burke on behalf of the Washington Township government.
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
No people were injured in the fire in a Van Emburgh Avenue home Wednesday.
A Washington Township family lost their dog in a fire Wednesday, according to Fire Chief Jamie Powell. There were no other injuries. Firefighters from the township, Westwood, Hillsdale and Woodcliff Lake were able to quickly extinguish the fire, but the home was already so filled with smoke by the time they arrived that the windows were totally black, Powell said. "You could smell it but you couldn't see it," Powell said of the smoke. There was nobody in the Van Emburgh Avenue home when the fire started at about 3 p.m., according to Powell. The cause of the fire had not yet been officially determined Wednesday afternoon, but Powell said it could have been something left cooking unattended. The kitchen took the brunt of the damage, but …
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Washington Township firefighters will be protected in case of Sudden Cardiac Arrest thanks to the donation.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
Thursday, October 25, 2012
The Washington Township Fire Department will now be better prepared to handle cardiac emergencies on the spot thanks to the donation of an AED from LifeSavers, Inc. Bob Stickel, the company's president and a township resident, said his family donated the AED "in honor of our dedicated firefighters." Sudden Cardiac Arrest is the number one cause of death of on-duty firefighters in the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Association. "Firefighters go from being relaxed, then all of sudden go into a life and death situation where they are putting there life on the line to help someone else," Stickel said. Each year 383,000 Americans suffer sudden cardiac arrest before they reach a hospital. Bystanders or emergency …
Monday, October 15, 2012
A Fern Street resident left a candle burning when she went out to run errands.
Washington Township firefighters extinguished a kitchen fire started by an unattended candle Sunday, according to a press release from Washington Township Police. A Fern Street resident left a candle burning in her kitchen while she went out to run errands, police said. When the woman returned home, she found the house full of smoke. She tried to put out the fire, but was unsuccessful, police said. The woman called 911 at about 2:20 p.m. Police removed the woman from the smokey home, EMTs treated her and firefighters extinguished the fire in the kitchen. Have a question or news tip? Contact editor Jim Leggate at Jim.Leggate@patch.com, or find us on Facebook and Twitter. For news straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Monday, June 11, 2012
Car buffs showed off their rides and supported the Washington Township Fire Department Sunday.
The Washington Township Fire Department hosted their 17th annual car show at Westwood Jr./Sr. High School Sunday. Car, truck and motorcycle enthusiasts brought out a wide variety of classic and modern vehicles for the event, which benefitted the department. Have a question or news tip? Contact editor James Leggate at JMLeggate@gmail.com, or find us on Facebook and Twitter. For news straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
The Washington Township Fire Department is hosting their annual car show at the high school Sunday.
The Washington Township Fire Department's annual car show is Sunday at Westwood Jr./Sr. High School from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Firefighter Jeff Siconolfi said they usually get between 100 and 150 cars, trucks and motorcycles dating from the 1920s to today at the show. This year marks the 17th car show held by the department according to firefighter Roy Scherer. "We have a lot of enthusiasts in the fire department," Scherer said. "When we started out, a few of us were going to shows so we figured we should have some to raise some money and have some fun." Siconolfi said the show has grown a lot over the past seven years and now attracts a wide variety of vehicles. There will be awards given for best in show, peoples' choice and "best of" in …
Monday, October 3, 2011
The crash occurred along Pascack Road Monday afternoon
Washington Township police and firefighters responded to the scene of a one-car crash on Pascack Road in front of Memorial Field Monday around 2 p.m. Police Lt. Richard Skinner, who was on the scene, said the vehicle struck a pole along Pascack Road and the driver, who was the only occupant, was taken to Valley Hospital to be checked out. Skinner said the man had a bruise on his eye and complained of some chest pain, but his injuries did not appear to be life threatening. Drivers traveling along Pascack Road were detoured through several side streets while the car was being removed from the roadway.
Friday, July 15, 2011
Before heading out to barbecue, make sure you keep safety in mind
- POLICE & FIRE
Friday, July 15, 2011
Summer is the perfect time for cooking outdoors on the grill. But without taking precautions or using equipment properly, the practice can be dangerous. The Washington Township Fire Department released the following safety tips from the National Propane Gas Association. Keep them in mind before planning your next barbecue. Propane Grill Do's: Propane Grill Don'ts: Propane Gas Range Do's: Propane Gas Range Don'ts:
Monday, June 13, 2011
Washington Township Fire Department hosted the annual Custom Car and Motorcycle Show
The Washington Township Fire Department hosted its Annual Antique Custom Car and Motorcycle Show Sunday at Westwood Jr./Sr. High School. Car owners came from all over New Jersey to enter their vehicles, which were judged in categories specific to the year of the car, best paint job, best modified and best in show. Attendees were treated to music, refreshments and of course the opportunity to view historical automobiles.
Saturday, June 11, 2011
The 16th annual fire department event will feature custom antique cars and motorcycles
Custom antique cars and motorcycles will be on display at Westwood Jr./Sr. High School Sunday as part of the Washington Township Fire Department Car and Motorcycle Show. This will be the 16th time the fire department hosts the successful community event. According to Jeff Siconolfi, a group of firemen who were car enthusiasts wanted to get together with their vehicles. From there, it grew into a community-wide event where people can showcase their cars and motorcycles. "We average about 120 entries and several hundred spectators come out to enjoy a day of music, food and a tremendous array of classic, antique, vintage, stock, modified cars and motorcycles," Siconolfi said. He said the department plans to give out more than 50 awards to …