The board voted to accept Mountain's resignation during their December meeting. Mountain, who previously served as the board's president, could not immediately be reached for comment, but the reason for her resignation was reportedly a work commitment.
Board President Roberta Hanlon said that the board was already searching for a new member to fill the seat for the rest of Mountain's unexpired term.
According to the New Jersey School Boards Association, the requirements to be a board member are:
- Be able to read and write;
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year’s residency in the school district;
- Be registered to vote in the district before filing the nominating petition;
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board;
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body;
- Not simultaneously hold two elective offices and
- Not be disqualified from membership for the conviction of certain crimes.