Summer marks an opportunity for many people to get away on vacation, but it also means burglars have their pick of empty homes to target. Washington Township Police recently issued a list of tips residents can use to deter burglaries while away on vacation.
The tips include:
- Check windows and doors to make sure they are secure.
- Bushes, trees and shrubs should be trimmed away from the doors and windows to ensure they are clearly visible.
- Check motion lights on the exterior of the home to ensure they are operating correctly.
- Set lights, televisions and radios on timers to discourage burglars from selecting your home.
- Burglars target the traditional places in your home for valuables; they should be kept in less obvious places than the master bedroom.
- Residents are encouraged to lock vehicle doors when they are parked even if kept in the driveway.
- Please ensure your house numbers are visible from the street to make it easier for patrol to locate your residence.
Police also said there have been cases of burglars pretending to work for a utility company targeting senior citizens. Residents are advised to contact police if they are unsure about someone's credentials.
For emergencies, call 911. For police headquarters, call 201-664-1140.