Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, and what better way to start of the festival of lights than with a delicious latke and applesauce feast? So before you light the menorah and open presents, try out this potato latke and applesauce recipe to start the celebration.
- 5 lb. bag of potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 T flour
- 5 eggs
- Salt & Pepper
1. Chop the onion into small pieces.
2. Peel the potatoes. Then grate and chop them (not too fine).
4. Mix onion, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
5. Add potatoes to the bowl and drain off the excess liquid.
6. Continue draining them as you add eggs and flour.
7. Fry the potato latkes until crispy and brown on both sides.
8. Heat up oven to 300 degrees to keep latkes warm before serving.
Applesauce (6 servings)
- 2 lb. unpared, cooking apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or brown sugar, packed)
- Sugar (amount depends on desired sweetness)
- Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1. Core and quarter the apples.
2. Place a saucepan on the stove, and simmer the apples for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally adding water as needed.
3. Put the apples through a food mill or coarse sieve.
4. Add desired amount of sugar and lemon juice.
5. Can serve hot or cold.