.

Bergen County Rapper Records Anti-Blue Law Song

Rob Carney, a hip-hop artist who grew up in Palisades Park and Ridgefield, posted his song "Get Up (Blue Laws)" online to support Modernize Bergen County.

Rob Carney, who penned the anti-Blue Law song "Get Up." Photo submitted.
Rob Carney, who penned the anti-Blue Law song "Get Up." Photo submitted.
A local hip-hop artist has recorded a new song promoting a repeal of Bergen County's Blue Laws.

Rob Carney, who grew up in Palisades Park and Ridgefield and has been rapping for 8 or 9 years, said he was inspired to write the song after learning about Modernize Bergen County and becoming friendly with Mitchell Horn, one of the group's members. The group has been working to get a referendum about the Blue Laws in the ballot in November and recently announced they had the required number of signatures for the initiative.

In the song, "Get Up (Blue Laws)," Carney points to those who only have Sunday to shop and struggling small businesses as examples of why he believes the law should be changed.

"It's un-American," Carney told Patch. "Why should the government dictate whether or not we open retail stores on a Sunday?"

County residents on both sides of the issue have debated whether or not the potential economic benefits would outweigh the value of having a day each week with less traffic and other activity. 

Carney said that he hoped the song would inspire younger voters, who traditionally turn up to the polls in low numbers, to participate in this year's ballot.

"I have a perspective that's different from your typical political viewpoint," he said.

You can hear more of Carney's music on his website and listen to "Get Up (Blue Laws)" above.
Pete August 29, 2013 at 08:05 AM
Dictate? Since when does a rule repeatedly approved by the voters amount to the government dictating anything? We've got some weak dictators if that's the case.
Parco Molo August 29, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Are you using the word "repeatedly" to mean twice? I don't think you are using the word correctly.
Phil Brooks August 29, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Parco, First, it's obvious rapper boy doesn't understand the process which brought this law into being and which keeps it on the books. Nobody has 'dictated' to. // Second, though the law was voted down a second time, and by a larger plurality than the first, while the process was repeated, it wasn't done "repeatedly," meaning over and over. So, you are correct.
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Let me guess, that was decided by 2% of registered voters ?
Pete August 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM
So how many voters have to be willing to vote on this how many times before it stops being a government dictate? Apathy, after all, is a vote in itself.
Pete August 29, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Andy yeah, "repeatedly" describes an action repeated. It's not that complicated.
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 01:05 PM
At minimum, it should be voted for by at least 50% of registered voters, or it simply shouldn't count.
Pete August 29, 2013 at 01:09 PM
At that high a threshold, not only will very little get done, but you can expect to start paying for a lot more make-up elections.
Phil Brooks August 29, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Michael, Please think before you speak. // Voting is open to everyone eligible. So, if only 20% of the people show up on Election Day, whose fault is that? After all, it's not like the other 80% are chained down and forced against their will not to vote. And why should the 20% who voted get penalized for the other 80% who don't care? And, as there's a way to vote early and by mail, there's no excuse for people NOT voting. // So, if 20% of the people are dictating to the other 80%, all I can say is "tough."
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Phil, since the referendum was not held on nov 5, and early voting is not allowed, holding a semi-secret election on a non typical election day. If they weren't worried about the popular vote, it would have been on nov 5.
FLemp August 29, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Who really cares, it's never going to pass anyway!
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Are you kidding? The Blue Laws have no chance of being upheld if they are on the ballot November 5th. I would predict 80% voting them down.
FLemp August 29, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Look at the past, they have been upheld twice before. And nothing will change. If you think third times a charm, you kidding yourself.
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Sorry if you will be disappointed.
FLemp August 29, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Sorry when you will be disappointed.
Michael J. Klatsky August 29, 2013 at 04:57 PM
You must be one of those children in adult bodies in Paramus Boro. Stop interfering in the free market.
FLemp August 29, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Nope, not even close. Guess again?
Phil Brooks August 29, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Michael, The referendum will be on the customary Election Day, Nov. 5 this year. It's not part of the special election three weeks prior nor part of any other election (like for school boards). Not sure where you got your information from. // The two previous votes saw the referendum get voted down 55/45 (in '80) and 63/37 (in '93). So, an 80% plurality? You're pissing up a rope. // And there are two things different from the previous votes compared to this coming vote. The first, a negative for your side, is that, there's very little backing from large retailers. The other, a plus for your side, is increased social media, stuff like Patch here, where people get interact and get their message out. // The law MIGHT get voted down. But save the 80% smack talk for another day.
paul smith August 30, 2013 at 09:40 PM
It's amazing... people that want to repeal the law played by the rules, got signatures, and poof!, it's on the ballot...so, come November, the county gets to vote..personally, I hope it fails but the diatribes around sinister behind the scenes plots to get this on the ballot are moronic...

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »