Candle Starts Fire in Washington Township Home
A Fern Street resident left a candle burning when she went out to run errands.
Washington Township firefighters extinguished a kitchen fire started by an unattended candle Sunday, according to a press release from Washington Township Police.
A Fern Street resident left a candle burning in her kitchen while she went out to run errands, police said. When the woman returned home, she found the house full of smoke. She tried to put out the fire, but was unsuccessful, police said.
The woman called 911 at about 2:20 p.m. Police removed the woman from the smokey home, EMTs treated her and firefighters extinguished the fire in the kitchen.